Monday, October 10, 2011

#10 My Views on Drugs and Alcohol.

First of all - another ridiculously lame prompt.  I mean who really cares what I think about this?  Will it change anyone else's mind in any way? 

Let me start by saying that I think everyone is entitled to their own veiws about this.  I'm cool with whatever a person chooses until it affects me negatively. 

My views on this subject are related to my choice about how to live my life.  So please don't think that I'm preaching or trying to convince you to live your life the way I live mine.  It's called free will people.  Figure out what works for you and hold onto that.  What you choose to put into your body is your choice.  And who's to say that a legal drug is any less harmful than an illegal one.  Oxycontin in my experience is a much more addictive drug than weed. 

Yes, I have smoked weed.  Smoked my first joint in the eighth grade with my then boyfriend Ducky Keene.  It did nothing.  It would be 6 years before I smoked weed again to a totally different end.  Mild hallucinations of a most pleasant variety.  I have indulged in it a few times since then, generally to the same result.  Mellow as shit.  I see nothing wrong with weed.  Think it should be legal. 

I have also done Oxy (not recreationally mind you).  It is a phenomenal drug.  Every little body ache goes away.  Every tiny mote of a thought that causes stress is suddenly silent.  It is like Zen in a pill.  The trouble is that taking that little pill starts the clock ticking and at some point the alarm always goes off.  At that point EVERY DAMN THING comes whomping back in all at once.  That hangnail that you weren't even aware of before you popped the oxy now feels as if a pack of hyenas has tried to rip off your finger.  You jump back on the hamster wheel of thought and off you go at a million miles an hour whirring away.  The natural response is to crave the quiet, to reach for the oxy and start the clock over.  After a while you realize the alarm is coming and you take the oxy to stave off the crashing.  How could something so yummy NOT be addictive? 

Bottom line for me - the less drugs the better.  That includes both the legal and illegal variety.

Now - on to the alcohol.  I am an adult child of an alcoholic.  I have danced the initial steps of that dance myself, as has at least one of my sibs.  If you pick thru the blog there are lots of pieces dedicated to this topic.  I have nothing against drinking.  Will sometimes have a beer or a glass of wine.  Sometimes 2.  But I am no longer willing to give up any of my valuable time to nursing a hangover.  So I usually call it quits after a couple.  If I am honest with myself, every drink that ever came after those first couple was taken with the intention of checking out of my sad life for a mo.  I no longer want that.  I want to be here, to taste it all - every blessed bit - even bits like writing blogs about so lame a topic as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...