Thursday, September 8, 2011

Loving Cafe

Sometimes before class on Wednesday my small group like to get together for dinner.  I like this.  It gives me a chance to visit and to know these women when they are not wearing their writer hats (although I would argue some of us always style those).  This week it was a pre-class powwow to discuss what measures we could take to make the writing class flow with better energy.  There was some venting ::raises hand sheepishly::, a bit of whining ::blushes and raises hand again::, and some problem solving ::looks around airily::  Sometimes these women amaze me with their generosity and true compassion. 

The last few meet ups have been pizza and I wanted something else.  So I suggested the Loving Cafe a vegan cafe with pretty good food when I was there last.  The four of us are crowded around the counter straining to see the menu with out 50+ eyeballs, laughing and relaxed the way that only older women truly know how to do.  A man sitting behind me makes a wisecrack (I so love a wise ass!) and I crack back at him then turn back to studying the board waiting for my turn to order.  Definitely the raw curry romaine soup (No I am not a raw follower.  Nor am I vegan.  But I do kinda follow my intuition about food) and this choice was dead phenomenal. 

The next thing I know there is someone holding out a small cup of pink smoothie.  I look around for who to pass it to but no one asked for this.  I stand there holding it confused.  It is for me?  The mental image that flashes through my brain is one of a penguin presenting a rock to another penguin.  Huh?  Amost simultaneously, my friend Jane leans over and whispers conspiratorially "He likes you".  Head snaps up as my brain goes "Who?" I look up and finally SEE the person who handed me the cup of smoothie to taste.  It is the guy who smarted off to me.  He tells me "It's wiseass smoothie."  As the thousand emotions play across my face, I look at him in that assessing way that people do when they are considering a mate.  I wish I hadn't done that, but what I find is pleasing.  My standards have changed considerably since my 20's (thank gawd) and he meets the new minimum standard requirements - kinda teddy shaped the way I like them.  This one with visible tattoos and yunno how the girl likes her some ink.  Like here being code for I wanna trace them with my fingers.  He has demonstrated that he has a sense of humor and that he is employed (2 big requirements).  I stand there kinda confused as I order. 

I get an odd feeling in the pit of my stomach.....the last time someone looked at me that way ended so very badly.  The four of us go sit and enjoy our food which was yummy FYI.  But a little part of me is still wondering about the boy penguin who presented me with a rock for my nest.  I took it.  I wish I had been more grateful, said something smart ass, yunno made an impression.  Instead I'm pretty sure I looked confused - which I hope, in retrospect, was adorable.  Because let's face it, in the last 10 years he is only the second wild penguin to look at me like I was someone he wanted and the first to give me a pebble.

Now all I have to do is find a way to get back to the Loving Cafe.  And yes, I got the irony immediately.

6 comments:

  1. Don't go back too soon, but, oh, please do go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo, yunno a girl penguin can't avoid those pebbles for too long. LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was yummy and funny. I like my men that shape too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 for 3 for me too - yummy, funny and teddy.

    mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trip #2 - no smartass, but instead a wise friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trip #3 a blank as well. Oh well - it was fun in the moment

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...