Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Changing POV

One writing prompt that caught my eye today is to write the piece from a different perspective.  A few of my favorite writers do this - the first that comes to mind if George RR Martin.  He is able to sustain the story thread through countless POVs.  However, his last book I found exceptionally annoying in its constant POV switching.  So less is more for this girl. 

There are a couple places where this would seem to immediately apply.

The book.  Yeah I lost half of it.  But maybe this is my chance to make it stronger.  It exists in three parts in my head.  Each part could easily have a different POV.  That might make it more approachable.  Or get me back to a place of excitement about it again.  Funny how the steam goes out of a project when your computer eats it.  LOL.  Baaaaad computer. 

And there is a piece I am wrestling with about my mom and her impending memory loss.  I'm not sure if I'm too close to it or it's too present or what, but I have been unable to write the piece that is perking up in my head.  Maybe POV change would help.  Maybe not. 

Anyway - I'm off to experiment with this.  Shhhhhhh.......I AM at work.  Reason #5988 why science careers RAWK!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...