Sunday, July 24, 2011

WTH, What the Hawk?

Immature Red-tailed Hawk
Was out scrounging in local cemeteries with my friend Sno' this morning.  She is filling me in on her trip to the Serengeti earlier this month.  I am trying not to drool too much on the leather seats of her Beemer - bad form that.  Africa is number one on my destinations to visit and has been since I was about seven when I started to dream of being Dian Fossey or Jane Goodall.  Add to it that her trip was organized and led by Thane Maynard, Director of the Cincinnati Zoo and host of the 90-Second Naturalist and the drooling is absolutely justified.  Gargglesluuurp!

Sigh........someday.

Wiping away the slobber with the back of one hand, I use the other to point to a large bird about five feet from us sitting on a headstone and glaring at us.  The bird opens its mouth and screeches at us, but doesn't flinch or get fussed by our presence in any way.  Eventually it flies off, but swoops back by us not 2 minutes later and scolds us again.

The bird in question had yellowish eyes and a faintly barred tail on the underside.  The upper side faintly rust-orange colored.  Red tailed hawk.  Immature variety.

And that my friends is the fifth close encounter of the hawk variety this week.   So maybe keep your eyes open.  The little hawks are learning to fly and haven't learned yet to fear us.  Maybe you can see one up close and personal too.

5 comments:

  1. But the relevant question for the quintuply blessed observer of all these hawks is: what is the message? And the fifth hawk is positively ticked off about the message not being received. Hawks, in Medicine Cards, are Great Spirit's Messenger.

    Hmmmm.... wonder how that applies? : >

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about it....listening extra hard. Bupkiss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even I saw that hawk - Mary is teaching me. We sat and watched her for awhile until she squawked and flew off. She really was magnificent.

    Mary started my appreciation of birds and being on safari in Africa and going bird watching with the Maynards added to it. They truly are awesome - no matter what their size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just saw a little hawk in my yard

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesomes annoying little brotherDecember 23, 2011 at 11:05 AM

    then the hawk went up in the tree

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...