Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mitakuye Oyasin*


Grandmothers in my bones
Long gone
Whispering stories
Telling tales

Are you listening child?

Grandfathers in my heart
Nodding slowly
Deliberating choices
Pointing home

Do you see child?

Mothers in my eyes
Filled with cradleboards
And decorated hides
Celebrating life

You are one of us child

Fathers in my back
Standing tall
Proud faces
Smiling

Be proud child

Brothers in my spleen
Bouncing anger free
To fly off
On the fringe of a dance

Release your pain child

Sisters in my hands
Stroking backs
Comforting
Singing fistfuls of righteous joy

Feel the rhythm child

Sons in my feet
Moving me forward
Toward the place of self

Go there child

Daughter in my belly
Tickling laughter
Out to roll along the prairie

Let it go child

Ancestors on my tongue
Speaking story truth
Speaking my truth

Remember us child.

Aho**



* A Lakota phrase generally translated to "All my relations".   Commonly published as the title to a Lakota ceremonial song.  


** Lakota - used as an agreement much like Christians would use Amen


2 comments:

  1. So the peeps have been talking, I hear and see. What a yummy poem. Would make a wonderful chant, and then the dance. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few pieces like this that feel like benedictions of a sort. Maybe when I get enough of them, I will do something with them.

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...