Monday, May 23, 2011

Summaland

i am a child born to the sun
my existence closely bordered by Memorial and Labor days
born to inflatable suburban swimming pools
to time off
to heat
to grilled hot dogs, chips and cherry Kool-Aid
to shorts and flip-flops
to Lord of the Flies set in a Catholic neighborhood
to liberal doses of Off
to Red Rover until the street lights came on
to swimming in Minnesota lakes
to Coppertone's coconut aroma
to linseed oil in my ball glove
to lightening bugs in a jar
to rhubarb sauce

i am never quite as me
outside the land that is Summer

2 comments:

  1. Love it. I tend to be more negative in my childhood memories: broken arms, being left in the tree unable to get down, or left on the ground unable to get up, bee stings, terrible sunburns, and reading Lord of the Flies to escape. Probably needed meds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got a toybox full of BS stuff like that T. (If you read deeper into the blog it's in the archives) But these days I am choosing to focus on the good things and to swap crap memories with beautiful ones that I make up wholecloth. Cuckoo for cocoa puffs? You betcha. But it makes me happy so fuck the naysayers!!!

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...