Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Commercial TV Has Its Uses

The other night I'm watching TV - not unusual in and of itself.  But, that night I am watching it live versus something on the DVR.  I love fastforwarding through the commercials more than I can say.  I got up to go the the kitchen where I heard some cool voice.  I wandered back out to the living room, but by then the commercial was over.  I only knew it was a car commercial of some kind.

Weeks later I would finally see it again - Subaru Forester.  Scrambling then to youtube for an artist's name, Sean Hayes, and the song title - Powerful Stuff - then to Amazon to download some of his music.

It's been a long time since I have encountered a musical artist who lit me up like this one does.  You know the ones whose music hits you squarely in the solar plexus.  Whose vocal stylings are just a musical representation of something deep inside you.  I have this theory that I can pretty much profile a person by their music collection (or their book collection).  So kick back, listen and tell me what you think.

4 comments:

  1. Been lovin' on some Sean Hayes for a while now! Last time I got hit with an artist in that manner was while I was channel surfing, landed on the last 45 seconds of "Touched by an Angel" (burps up something foul) and caught Keb Mo. It wasn't until about 4 months later that he showed up on Oprah (again, I was surfing), but I caught it in time to stay tuned and fined out who that magic man was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found Israel Kamakawiwo'ole this way too when he did a Rice Krispies commercial of all things. Also groovin today on Adele after FF and my friend Suz (SS - are all my friends intial squared like this?) both gushed over her. Appropriately I might add. Just a stellar day in my space musically. BTW - don't think I am EVER gonna let the TBAA reference slide. LMAO. Love ammo like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that commercial caught my ear, too. He has a great voice, but that spot grabs my heart with such bittersweet melancholy that I almost can't listen to it anymore. I'll have to check out some of his other stuff for comparison. I've added many a song to my iPod from hearing it on shows I watch. (Commercials not so much, because I'm a DVR whore, too.) "Rescue Me" is famous for its spot-on musical denouement each episode, and is where I found Elbow. Their song "The Bones of You" just slays me. It's damn near perfect. Great video, too. BTW, I'd love to have you look at my iPod to see if your 'profile' of me fits. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ZOMG _ that reminds me.....True Blood has some excellent stuff I keep meaning to grab starting with Bad Things by Jace Everett.

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...