Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Q can only be for Quiet*

Stillness of snow at 3AM
Cathedral dark just before lighting the candles
The sweet space between a lover’s inhalation and exhalation
A heart at peace
The inky blue black of space
A fussy infant finally settled
Upstairs neighbors on vacation
Deepest meditation
The moment just after the TV is turned off
Cloistered footsteps
The seconds after the lightening
A doorway thru which fear skulks in.


*Basically a fast write list.  But feels like the bones of poem reside in the list if I care to spend the time excavating them.  Reaching for the place that is intentionally left silent or happened upon in the day.  I am the kind of person who needs more than her allotment of silence, of sighing spaces, of expansive internal vistas.  I could easily tolerate a cloistered life, a silent retreat, no TV or phone.  Maybe I have become accustomed to silence because I live alone and it is available to me whenever I invite it in.  Or maybe I live alone so that I can open that door for the quiet and experience it without having to explain.  I know my life choices baffle many people.  But they make perfect sense to me.    

4 comments:

  1. Great images! I hope you mine for the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially love the line about the baby and the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah - i figured most baby moms would relate to that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some quiet is a scary thing. For others the best times are when you can be quite alone or comfortable enough to be quiet with others.

    RJRDaydreamer

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...