Wednesday, April 13, 2011

K is for Kaleidoscope

I had plenty of toys growing up.  My favorite was not usually the one most people would expect.  My brothers and I loved large cardboard boxes - a lot.  Loved them to pieces actually.  But one of the toys I remember distinctly was a kaleidoscope I got at Easter one year.  (I have no idea why it was in my Easter basket, nor do I really care).  I loved that little cardboard tube with its mirrors and pieces of plastic inside it. Loved it until it fell apart.  Or perhaps Phil and I fought over it until we pulled it apart.  Or maybe Skip took it apart to see how it worked.  He was forever doing stuff like that.  I don't really remember, nor would it matter at all.

I can't tell you why I loved it.  It was sparkly and pretty and spoke to that girlie part of me.  It was geometrical and precise which spoke to the developing nerdy part of me.  It was sometimes beautiful which spoke to the artist in me.  It was like a spyglass that my internal pirate loved.  Mostly though, I think I liked it because it fractured the world into pieces that matched the world as I experienced it.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't looked in a Kaleidoscope for such a long time. May have to call in the local toy shop now just to have a play !

    RJRDaydreamer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love kaleidoscopes! And I love your way of looking at it from all the angles, the girl pretty sparkliness, the nerdy geometric, the beautiful artistry, and the inner pirate. Thank you for the delightful post and insight.
    http://tyreanswritingspot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...