Monday, February 28, 2011

EST v PST Round 3

Leaving today for Portland.  Not a moment too soon for me.  I added a day to our hotel stay in Seattle yesterday as I was sure Duz was dying.  Nope.  Turns out he is like a gremlin and you can't feed him after midnight.  Who knew?

So we were out yesterday to letterbox.  Took in the Fremont troll, but the box there was missing the stamp.  Instead some geocacher had left a lovely string of Mardi Gras beads and left with the stamp.  I do wish they would learn the difference between letterboxing and geocaching and be respectful of someone else's hobby.  Pipe dream that.

From there we did a set of 12 boxes spread over a mile or so, but what was a cold drizzle turned into a steady freezing cold rain.  We did finish, but frankly the carves were unimaginative, the placements uninteresting and these I included more for quantity v quality.  After that we tried for a few others, but they were in crowded urban locations.  Ironically, the same rain that had made us quit on the longer walks, did not deter the budding baseball hopefuls - AT ALL!  We ended the day on a high note with a 2-layer stamp, a trip to a Wiccan bookshop, and Pegasus pizza right on the beach at Alki point.

The box in the pizza joint was located behind the picture at the table next to us.  So patience and timing were critical.  That just adds to the fun really.  And the location was really beautiful.

Now about the roads.......

I don't know who designed the roads here, but I would like to have a few words with them.  Streets should converge in regular patterns called right angles.  Driving around the first night, I got caught in a time space anomaly because of the roads.  I circled an establishment called CARTOYS about five times. Although it is also possible that this happened because of the close proximity of the Science Fiction Museum which taunted me with billboards for the upcoming Star Wars exhibit opening in 2 weeks.  I tried to use the force to make them change their mind, but they were strong in the force themselves and the date held firm.  I may hit this after Duz leaves.  Not sure at this point.

But back to the pesky roads.  Even with a GPS it has been a hard go.  I can't explain it.  All I know is that I am never in the lane I am supposed to be in and the Seattle drivers put New York cabbies to shame for impatience and overall rudeness.  I have been horned more times in the last 2 days than in 33 years of driving that preceded them.  WTF people.  Add in the rain and the hills and - oh yeah - the non-rectilinear roads system and my head goes KABOOM!

Anyway......leaving it all behind me for Portland where things will just be easy.  And sunny.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you loved Pike Street Market - and am sorry about all those &%#@^# drivers... but it is definitely an adventure - good to find out that Duz is a gremlin - why am I not surprised? : >

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...