Saturday, February 26, 2011

EST v PST Round 1

To start with, our hotel has a Starbucks inside it!  How convenient.  Especially for mornings.  Since Duz has worked a thousand shifts right up to leaving, he is still zonked upstairs.  That despite a text from his new gf that came in on his phone at like 6AM and has been peeping every 5 minutes since.  Dude could sleep thru an atomic blast.  Me not so much.  Those faint peeps cutting the sleep potential to zero.  (That was with the earplugs I brought because Duz is a snore monster).

Yes, I could just go over and flip his phone open to make it stop, but I just can't.  Maybe because I know how excited he will be to wake and hear it peep and know she thought of him.  But we will have a discussion about it so that maybe I can catch a bit more sleep tomorrow.

I don't know that it would matter really.  My body is still mostly on Eastern Standard Time here on the west coast where it is three hours earlier.  Normally that plays to my strength.  I get up at a later time than usual and it is EARLY where I am making me look less morning challenged.  For 7AM local time these people look pretty perky as I sit here hair uncombed and in sweat pants.

Yesterday was pretty weird.  I left Cincy at 10AM after a 40 minute wait on the tarmack that included my first de-icing ever.  Oh the thrill.  I was operating on a couple hours of sleep and just waiting for the plane to hit cruising aka snoozing height, so I fell asleep during this unexpected delay.  Short-lived as the  plane next to my resting head echoed like a rock in a tin can from a direct blow of the de-icing spray.  Glad for it this time  because I was awake for take off.  That is my favorite part of any flight.  That moment where the rumble of tarmac beneath the plane can no longer be felt and you are flying.

Napping on the plane proved impossible as the captain interrupted my sleep every time I started to spin deeper with some incomprehensible announcement that made me wonder if he was possibly drunk or having a stroke.  So I got to enjoy 5 hours of the hungover party girls behind me degassing tequila into a little toxic cloud that encompassed a couple rows, a sick and coughing toddler adding her germs to the toxic cloud (I told myself that the toddler germs that had never before encountered the sterilizing force of tequila would be neutralized), and an older dude who made the empty seat between us his personal property.

Still it was a great flight.  Clear views of Rainier and the Cascades as we landed.  Delta has some new planes in service that are more leg-friendly so I could actually walk when we debarked in Seattle.  I zipped over and got my car - a little blue Nissan and then spent a couple hours aimlessly driving around Seattle trying not to have an accident from gawking.  I drove by Boeing and watched as a 787 took off and landed from their personal airstrip.  I found the Starbucks mothership.  Went by Qwest and Safeco fields.  The weather was sunny, cold and snow.

Then I sat in the cell phone lot and waited.  Texting my friend Sandra, organizing clue pages and setting off the car alarm by accident - TWICE!

Then it was off to the airport, the hotel, dinner (mediocre Thai) and bed.

Think  may go back to sleep for a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Fun! I hope you enjoy your stay. I wish I could do something like that now. *sigh*
    Take care!

    ♥.•*¨ Elizabeth ¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...