Friday, November 5, 2010

Please Pass the Kleenex

Been a rough day kiddies.  A whole day of the dreaded good-bye saying.  Leaving behind me a wake of wadded up tissues.

A research lab is a lot like planet Vulcan (sans the pointy ears).  All cool logic.  Deliberately devoid of emotion.  Touching is verboten.  And there is definitely no crying in research.  

I broke all those rules today.  Hugged everyone.  Cried like a newly minted Miss America. 

Last week I sent a letter to the division letting them know I was leaving, telling them how much I appreciated having been one of them for the last 24 years and inviting them to stop by and say good-bye before I left.  To my knowledge not one single person has ever done that.  I don't know why.  Then I began looking at the responses I got.  Not judging who or why.  Just objectively interested in seeing the results of that little social experiment.  Of the 200 or so employees in my division, my final count was: 

9 faculty members came down or stopped me in the hallway.  FYI - 3 of those were NOT part of my division but they used to be.  Thats 6 of the roughly 2 dozen current faculty members.  It did not include my division head although he has seen me numerous times over the last few days.  

5-6 research staff - that included one woman I recognized but whose name I didn't even know (Yes, I am guilty as charged Mr. Spock).

Most of the people who gave me condolences were not part of my division, but speak to my years there and how, even unknowingly, I have built a lot of bridges just by taking time to speak to them.  Dozens of sales reps, service techs, delivery people, food service, housekeeping, secretaries and misc other hospital employees who are not part of research except tangentially.  Special props to Pete who soundly hugged me when I ran into him in the Credit Union this morning and broke the seal on the No Touching rule.  I have known Pete since I started there.  He works in Vet Services and has from time to time been responsible for my mice.  In fact, lots of these people hugged me.  An incredible number of them have also been helpful in trying to locate new employment.  

The social experiment played out what I already knew.  That scientists, in general, suck at things emotional.  They may be brilliant and phenomenal researchers, but they lack some basic social grace.  There is no judgement in me for how they act, how I have acted myself.  Well....except my division head.  That seemed really inexcuseable - that someone who had given 24 years of their life toward building your division didn't even deserve a nod or a handshake.  

As of today I now one of the 9.6% of the population living the American Dream of unemployment.  I am luckier than most, I have a built in cushion.  When I go back to work, and I will, I will remember this little experiment and try to bring a little bit of humanity back to those who sorely need it.  

Live long and prosper.

1 comment:

  1. Patricia Louise ElizabethNovember 5, 2010 at 6:29 PM

    I'm expecting you'll never go back to a regular job... and that life is going to be an incredible joy ride from now on! xoox

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...