Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Day After THE DAY.

Thru my Polyanna specs I was pretty sure Friday was gonna be the worst day - all that good-byeing and stuff.  I just kept telling myself that if I could make it thru THAT day the rest would be easy.  I probably should have known better.  Those damn glasses are worse than comic book X-ray specs for not delivering what they promise.  They did serve to get me to and through Friday.  

But the sun came up yesterday and I stayed in bed and slept.  I got up, ate a bite and went back to bed.  By noon, I knew I needed out or I would just fetal position the whole day away.  I called my mom and took her and her dog Pumpkin for a drive.  I know I mutter about her a lot, but some days she gets it right.  And thankfully this was one of those days.  We had a great day roaming thru Clermont County and ended up at East Fork Lake.  The three of us walking unhurriedly down to the empty beach where Pumpkin alone braved getting her feet wet.  It was just an afternoon of easy grace for all of us.  And one I will remember for its timbre even if I forget the exact circumstances that brought us there.  

Today kinda feels the same.  Like I could curl back up in bed and pull the blankets up until it's dark and cave-ish outside like it is inside.  I don't think that would serve any purpose though.  So today I am up and moving about.  Catching up on things that I have let go the last couple weeks, telling myself that I will have plenty of time to do that after Friday.  Writing, laundry, a football game a little later (hey, I'm sad not DEAD), dinner and Frankenstein with friends.  None of those things feeling like anything I want to do.  But I am hopeful that if I do them other moments like that at East Fork will emerge.  And when I string a few of those together I will suddenly find myself in joy again.


1 comment:

  1. I deserve some wow is me time. But I think that you are coming up with the trick to snap out of it each day. I have no experience here, but I bet that you will get comfortable with this. Already you are doing some amazing and spontaneous things. I envy your for that. Now, I get to wait for your next adventure and installment. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...