Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Catching Courage

Fast write from the prompt 'Women catch courage from other women'......

Interesting thought that. I think of things contagious as mostly negative. The flu is contagious. So is a bad mood. Fear and hate - absolutely. Why not contagious courage? Contagious laughter? I have definitely seen the latter at Laughter Yoga where the laughing starts out forced and awkward but shifts more and more toward deep conscious laughter originating from the belly.

If courageousness were contagious would it start in that same awkward way? The same sense of 'I can't do that because everyone is watching me' followed by 'Oh wait. They're all being courageous too, so they probably won't notice me.' So it feels safe to take a step in that direction. Step by step until we each step into that place of personal courage - the place where stories are written and shared without consciousness of self. The place of WHAT THE FUCK where writers thrive. I do believe that is exactly what happens here [at WWfaC].

It has happened to me many times - that leap or tiny step into the place of fearlessness. And what seems like courage when I finally get there is really just being me and nothing more.

5 comments:

  1. I love this - tells us why it's important to hang out with people who are on the path we want to be on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought of that, but you are exactly right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Readbacks:
    Why not contagious courage?

    The place of WHAT THE FUCK where writers thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right on, Patricia!!

    Man, I miss the Weds. night crew.

    And I love the seasonally appropriate fish colors... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe YOUR courage is contagious, and the reason I'm #2 next Wednesday...right after you! ha ha

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...