Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I Hope

One of the exercises presented to us toward the beginning of my time at Women Writing for a Change was the 6 word bio. I heard it offered again later on NPR accompanied with bios of reporters and performers of all sorts (an abbreviated version of the story can be found here http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18768430). The legend is that when challenged to write the shortest story ever, Hemingway produced the following: "For Sale: baby shoes, never worn."

I tried this exercise numerous times. What I produced varied according to my mood and what I was contemplating in the moment. For example:

Questions everything. Believes nothing. Dreams constantly.
Princess, alchemist, joker all in one.
More than what she first appears.

It's kinda fun. Give it a try. Post your efforts if you care to in the comment section. I would love to see your brilliance!

Today I think I can best Hemingway. I woke up with what I think is a brilliant 2 word bio.

I hope.

It sums the entire content of my spirit.
I hope.
It is the piece I have never lost no matter what crap got thrown at me.
I hope.
Even when I might have given up.
I hope.
Even when I was busted up like dry kindling.
I hope.
It is the small Pandora moth that saves me that
I hope.

Going up to the rooftop to shout my 2 word bio out to all of Clifton.

I HOPE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...