Wednesday, August 18, 2010

1999

The Campbell Co. Public Library called me yesterday. I always cringe when they do, as it always involves overdue materials. This time they called to tell me someone had found a small leather day planner with my name in it in the stacks. Really? Concerned as this also contains my insurance and prescription cards, I double checked my purse. Nope. My day planner was still tucked safely in there along with said materials.

Curious I went to pick it up. It turned out to be from 1999. Had most likely accidentally been included in a box of donated books. I almost tossed it, but decided I would take that stroll down memory lane. How often do you get a snapshot of your life 11 years after the fact?

1999 was the last year of my old life. And nothing at all like Mssr Prince promised it to be. Oops! Excuse me Mssr The Artist Formerly Known as Prince. 1999 was the last year I lived before I was introduced to my buddy cancer. The last year before I took that little side trail to 'see where it goes' that lead me on such a strange but powerful spiritual journey. Hell, it was the last year without ANY spiritual beliefs whatsoever. The last year that I spent curled tightly in a bottle - or a beer can as the case may be. When I crack it open, the first thing I notice is that this day planner is much more empty than any I have seen in years. Was my life really so empty as that? So what did I do in 1999? Let's see.....

I was a good girl and went to the dentist twice.

My baby Nara was still with me as attested to by numerous trips to the vet and the kennel. Our last year together. I still miss coming home to her.

I was driving a Honda Civic that went to the body shop after I swacked a yellow pole in the parking garage. I got new glasses after that.

My knees had not given out yet and I was still enjoying Volleyball. Still enjoying the Pub after. Sometimes before AND after.

In February, I attended my friend Michelle's surprise 40th birthday party thrown by her husband.

I was doing some kind of cell work requiring visits to the lab on Saturday and Sunday to 'feed' or 'split' or 'harvest' cells.

I may or may not have attended one of my nephews' baseball games, as the schedules for their summer league was fully documented in there.

My niece Jen graduated from Ryle and my friend Tony had his dissertation defense.

I attended a shower for Scott and Jen at the Kiln.

The only event that stands out in that whole year is that summer I drove to Montana to visit Jim and was gone for 3 whole weeks. The only time I have taken off that much vacation.

Weird that there is so little in that year. I mean that is hardly a good month in some of my current ones. I was 11 years younger - 38. WTF was I doing with my life? Doesn't matter. At 49 I am much healthier in mind and body and spirit than I was at 38. Well....except for the knees. Those really didn't age so well. The rest of me is vintage baby! A phenomenal vintage - 1961.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...