Monday, February 1, 2010

The Sparks of Winter


My mom is not a fan of natural fiber of any kind, so growing up all of our beds came equipped with some sort of acrylic thermal blanket in various colors. Mine might have been pink. It probably was. One winter when I was maybe 4, I woke up and went to pee. Crawling back into bed I noticed a veritable St. Elmo's fire that crackled across my blanket. How cool was that? As I reached out to touch it, one of the blue-white sparks jumped from the blanket to my finger. It didn't hurt, but it did tingle a little. Intrigued, I wondered what kind of magic was going on there in my bedroom. Where did the magic sparks come from? Why had I never seen them before? Could I collect them like fireflies? (You may recognize Super Science Geek Girl even in those questions)

I spent the next hour or so ripping the blanket away from the sheet, away from me and watching the delicious little sparks fly around me in the dark. When I got cold, I snuggled back into the covers and feel asleep. Night after night the little sparks and I played together there in the dark. Me giggling. Them crackling. Sometimes my hair played along, collecting little sparks of its own. I felt like Mickey standing on that cliff in the Sorcerer's Apprentice sparks flying at my command.

The little magic sparks didn't last though. One night they didn't visit me. Soon the blanket itself was gone. And I forgot about them.....until this week. I got a new blanket from a friend for the holiday and was enchanted to find it also makes the magic sparks. Heehee.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...