Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Bass


This winter I decided to break out of my cozy box by challenging myself to learn and do some new things. So, when Homer offered to teach me to play bass, I jumped on it. He found me a beautiful blue (of course) bass on Craig's List and within a couple weeks I had my very own bass!

It was quite smitten, or as my friend Fabeku says - swooney-eyed, with my new blue friend. The lessons are proving a bit squirrely in arrangement and I have yet to have one. Not for any lack of enthusiasm on my part. Am trying to imagine the demons this may be stirring for Homer and to be sympathetic to that and to the fact that he is battling a cold. But the postponements are starting to dampen my joy around this.

I see that this is often the pattern in life. That new enthusiastic ideas are met with something less than joy and how we let that color our own feelings. The longer we let that be the case, the more likely we are to simply let go of that thing that brought us delight. That thought makes me bluer than my new toy. Determined to hold on to my joy and be patient. It will happen in its own way and time. And when it does I will meet it with my puppy dog joy and delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...